Dreamwell Theatre continues its tradition next year of producing original work through its annual playwriting contest, the Writers’ Joust. The winner will receive a $100 cash prize and a full production of his or her play in July, 2013. Two runner up playwrights will receive a staged reading of their plays. The theme for Dreamwell’s 2012-13 season is “OVA-tion!”, featuring all female playwrights. Dreamwell is looking for full length plays that demonstrate women’s impact on some aspect of life (for example, but not limited to, family, society, politics, religion, or art). Note that for the Writers’ Joust, men are encouraged to submit plays as well. Previous playwriting contest winners were Tom Deiker’s Innocence and Amy White’s World’s Teeniest.
Writers’ Joust Rules
· Writers must currently live in Iowa or explain their connection to the state. Judges have the right to disqualify a playwright without adequate connection to Iowa.
· Keep the set and production value simple.
· Only full length plays will be considered.
· Plays cannot have been performed (except for readings) or published.
· Manuscripts should be 12 font, double spaced, 1 inch margins and page numbered (starting with cover sheet).
· Include a cover sheet with: Name, e-mail, phone, title of play, brief statement of how your play fits the contest theme, and a character breakdown.
· Do not include your name on the script itself – only on the cover sheet. Scripts are judged anonymously.
· Email submissions to: firstname.lastname@example.org or by postal mail to: Dreamwell Theatre, Writers’ Joust, PO Box 2903, Iowa City IA 52244.
· Deadline is December 1, 2012 for e-mailed entries. Mailed manuscripts must be postmarked no later than December 1, 2012.
· Mailed manuscripts will not be returned.
· Only one submission per playwright.
· All playwrights submitting by the stated deadline will be sent a confirmation e-mail.
· All playwrights will be notified of winning plays through an e-mail by March 31, 2013.